Monday, December 31, 2012

Farewell 2012

I'm not really a "year in review" kind of person.  I sort of only like to post when I feel like it.  But, this year was pretty amazing and deserves a quick look back.

I forgot that I had written a Goals post this year.  I did pretty good too.

Actually, I only didn't successfully meet two of the goals.

Number 2 - I DNF'd Wildflower, but learned from it and came back stronger, and will finish it this year.
Number 11 - I sold my bib for MCM.  The sub-5 marathon goal still stands.  2013 it WILL happen.

There are still some left over goals from 2011 I need to hit - including a sub 2:30 half marathon - that WILL happen in 2013.  (One from 2011 I've shelved, probably permanently - becoming a morning runner, I've decided at this point in my life, it's not my thing.)

Some important lessons were learned this year and I definitely did a good job of meeting and exceeding my goals.  I guess I should write a goals post for 2013.  I'll contemplate that for the next couple days.

2012 was an incredible year, on so many levels.  There were amazing times and difficult times.  And, I know at the end of the day, that this year changed me on so many levels, for the better.  I am stronger, more confident, happier and more at peace than I have ever been.  Here are some highlights.

I DNS'd (did not start) a lot of races.  I was registered for several races and sold my bibs, deferred or didn't do them.  I was busy re-prioritizing and marathons/half marathons were not the priority.  I'm good with it.  I didn't run a single half or full marathon (at one point I was registered for 2 fulls and about 6 halfs).  It was the best decision.
 
I owned up to keeping a very big secret, and did what I could to fix it and myself in the process.  (Still doing good - still on my meds).

I finished my first triathlon.  Incredible.


I ran Ragnar with 11 internet strangers and had one of the best times ever.


DNF'd (did not finish) my first half iron triathlon (only the second, and hopefully last, time I've ever DNF).


I began to make friends with my bike, but we still had our bad times (the times when I wanted to throw it off a cliff and forget about it - there were many of those).


But, actually, that bike and I, we broke up.  I have a new love now - this shiny new guy - and he finally has a name... 

I had really hard workouts, and huge confidence building workouts.



fell in love with open water swimming.



became an ironman.

I made friends with some of the most incredible people I've ever had the privilege of getting to know.  Actually, I fell in love with Ironteam LA 2012.







We lost one friend in a tragic cycling accident.  But, I didn't let it stop me or scare me, and have continued on, remembering her every step of the way.

I finished fun races.

I coached for Girls on the Run and loved it (I still need to recap that experience!).  Such a wonderful experience, and I learned far more from these seven girls than they ever could have from me.

I moved back in with my parents (to be a responsible adult and save money).


Celebrated new beginnings with wonderful friends.



Went on lots of road trips.... SO many road trips (so many more road trips than that post covers).



Cheered on my friends as they finished so many amazing events.




Learned more about myself than I ever thought possible...


2012 was an interesting year.  It was filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  But, here I am at the end of it, a little sad to see it go.  It was a year of great personal acheivement and I could not be prouder of how far I've come.  I know that even more amazing things lie ahead and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

2013 is bound to be a pretty incredible.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Man, Ragnar sure was the best!

    You had a fantastic 2012, can't wait to see what 2013 has for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! 3012 looked quite exciting so I'm sure 2013 will be a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always inspire me. You had an AMAZING 2012. Here's to 2013!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!